EarthQuaker Devices are arguably the most well known boutique effects pedal maker in the world, with a selection of pedals that is hugely diverse and encompasses both functionality and insanity in equal measure. All of their pedals are lovingly handmade in Akron, Ohio.
The Pyramids Stereo Flanging Device is the latest in a seemingly never ending line of unique and forward thinking modulation pedals from the guys and girls at EarthQuaker Devices. The Pyramids is designed around DSP technology that incorporates 8 Flanger modes and 5 built in user presets among a host of other features. The Pyramids 8 preset modes are:
- Classic - An authentic replication of the kind of vintage voiced jet-plane Flanger sounds of yesteryear, based on studio quality audio double tracking style processes for a smooth, classic flanging sound.
- Through Zero - A tape based style flangers that originally a pair of tape machines running at different speeds that would periodically cancel each other out at the 'zero point.' This can achieve some very interesting phase cancelling and filtering sounds with loads of movement.
- Barber Pole - A Flanger with an infinite sweep up or down that has no defined beginning or end point, base on the Shepherd Tone auditory illusion.
- Trigger - An infinite up or down flanger of which the start point is re-triggered with each new pick attack or by engaging the trigger foot switch.
- Step - A rhythmic style flanger that sweeps up and down in stepped increments.
- Random - A rhythmic flanger pattern that randomly generates the stepped increments.
The Pyramids features the standard controls you would expect to find on a Flanger such as Manual, Width, Rate and Frequency, but also includes some less common controls for further refining your sound. The 'Mix' control allows you to blend in your dry guitar signal with you wet effect signal, while the 'Modify' control is a multifunction knob capable of altering different parameters depending on what mode you are using. There is a mini toggle switch for rate & tap division control, and the 'Manual' knob can be controlled with an external expression pedal. The Pyramids can be run in stereo mode for swirling flanger tones with plenty of movement, and is designed to be as usable with synths and drum machines as it is with guitar with the ability to trigger the effect using an external source or CV.
The Pyramids also includes EarthQuaker's new Flexi-Switching technology, meaning the pedal can be used in both latching and momentary foot switch modes.
- True stereo flanging device with 8 Flanger modes • Five user-definable presets
- Tap tempo and tap subdivisions
- Flexi-switch for latch and momentary operatio
- True bypass - silent soft-touch switching with all-analog dry signal path • Stereo I/O and top mounted jacks
- Expression and CV connectivity - ideal for both guitar and synth use