Earthquaker Devices are arguably the most well known boutique effects pedal maker in the world, with a selection of pedals that is hugely diverse and encompasses both functionality and insanity in equal measure. All of their pedals are lovingly handmade in Akron, Ohio.
The Dunes takes all the best features of Earthquaker Devices all encompassing Palisades Tube Screamer mod pedal and condenses them in to a smaller pedalboard friendly size while retaining all the key features. Based on the classic TS-808 circuit and trying to incorporate as many mods as possible, the Dunes strips back the Palisades Overdrive to its bare essentials, leaving a simplified and brilliantly versatile transparent overdrive. The Dunes features standard controls for Gain, Tone and Level as well as mini toggle switches for 'Voice', 'Bandwidth' and a 'Normal / Bright' mode. The 'Voice' toggle selects between three different clipping options; MOSFET for a tighter sound, Silicon for asymmetrical clipping that sounds most similar to the original Tube Screamer circuit, and no clipping for a much more open sound with much more volume. The switchable 'Bandwidth' control offers the classic TS-808 midrange boost or a more low end focussed output when 'Full Range' is selected.
With the Dunes, Earthquaker Devices have crafted a great take on a classic circuit with as many tonal options as anyone could need from their overdrive pedal.
- Gain: Adjusts the drive, dirtier clockwise, cleaner counter-clockwise
- Tone: Brighter clockwise, warmer counter-clockwise
- Level: Sets the output level
- Normal/bright: Normal is a warm full tone, bright is livelier tone with more chime
- Bandwidth: Left is brighter with more emphasis on the mids, right is full range for more low end
- Voice: MF-MOSFET diode clipping, N-No diode clipping, Si-Silicon diode clipping
- Powered with any standard 9V DC centre negative power supply