Earthquaker Devices are arguably the most well known boutique effects pedal maker in the world, with a selection of pedals that is hugely diverse and encompasses both functionality and insanity in equal measure. All of their pedals are lovingly handmade in Akron, Ohio.
The Earthquaker Devices Depths is a true analog Univibe, making used of an optical vibe circuit for a truly vintage voiced Univibe sound. The output is as swirling and warm as you would expect from other classic Univibe units, yet with some more detailed controls for dialling in your perfect sound. The standard 'Rate' and 'Depth' controls are present as you would expect, but the Depths is capable of a wider range of vibe tones than most Univibes, with everything from subtle 60's movement that sits just under the mix to a far choppier, nauseating vibe that sounds particular cool when paired with drive or fuzz. The Depths has also been specifically designed to negate the volume drop issues associated with a lot of Univibe pedals, with the 'Level' control offering you plenty of headroom.
The Earthquaker Devices Depths also features some less common vibe controls that offer a whole lot more tonal versatility. The 'Voice' control dials in the mid range focus for the overall output of the pedal, ranging from a thicker, more bass focused sound to a thinner, raspier sound with a little more bite. The 'Throb' control adds a low end sub harmonic to the vibe tone, which is perfect for combining with both bass guitar and keys. The V2 version of the Depths also features Earthquaker Devices' new Flexi-Switching technology, meaning the pedal can be used in both latching and momentary modes.
The Earthquaker Devices Depths is the perfect combination of modern features and usability alongside a great vintage voiced true analog Univibe sound.
- Voice - Dials in the overall sound. Turn it clockwise for a fuller sound with more lows, bring it back for a thinner, more midrange focused tone.
- Throb - This controls the low end pulse. It may not be immediately evident on the bridge pickup, but switch to the neck or add some dirt and it comes alive. All the way up for more throb, dial it back for less. Works best when the “Voice” is set to a warmer tone.
- Intensity - This controls how subtle or intense the overall effect is. Counter clockwise from noon are the more subtle, classic sounds. Clockwise from noon are the more drastic and intense sounds.
- Rate - Controls the speed of the effect. Counterclockwise for slow, clockwise for fast.
- Level - Controls the volume of the effect. Unity is around 1 O’clock, everything above that is boost.
- Powered by any standard 9V DC centre negative power supply