Introduced as the companies top of the line model in 1953, the Gibson Les Paul Custom is a unique instrument in both tone and style. There have been some interesting variations on the Les Paul Custom over the years, but the 3 pickup model first seen in mid '57 is without doubt one of the most unique. This 1957 model is a fine example of a stunning, player grade Les Paul Custom from Gibson's solidbody golden era, and an excellent opportunity to acquire PAF tone on a budget. Three original PAF pickups from the first year of production for offering a huge variety of tones from warm, 'woody' rhythm to percussive, balanced, driving lead, and a lot in between.
As with other Les Paul Custom models, deluxe appointments and detail come as standard. This model features a single bound Ebony fingerboard with block inlays and the 5 piece diamond headstock inlay only found on custom models. Along with the pickups, the original ABR-1 bridge and tailpiece are also present. This particular guitar has seen some changes over the years, which are detailed below, however it is an excellent playing instrument and without doubt a great opportunity to own an authentic Golden Era Gibson.
Originality / Spec
- Previous Grovers installed (holes enlarged) now re-dowelled to accommodate original waffle-back tuners. (Finish touchup around the edges)
- Finish touch-ups to top of headstock
- Changed truss rod cover
- Changed strap buttons
- Areas of touch up to the back and minor touchups to the front of body
- Original PAF's (covers desoldered at some point. A mix of steel and brass baseplate screws.
- Original M69 rings
- 3 changed saddles and adjustment screws
- Changed pickguard and bracket
- Bigsby on/off (holes evident by rear strap button. No holes to the top, a few minor blemishes visible)
- Original no-wire ABR-1 bridge
- Original stop tailpiece
- Changed jack plate